Apr 20, 2010

Hopewell

Went to a Breast Cancer Support Group at the Hopewell Center for Cancer Support the other night. What with all the docs appointments, treatments and the labor- and energy-intensive foster child, I hadn't had a chance to go before this. It was a good group. A nice mix of personalities, socio-economic groups and diagnoses. Of course, everyone there had breast cancer, but each of us has had a different experience. The talking was very therapeutic and I learned a few things. I think I'll indulge myself a little and go back again in two weeks when they meet again.

It would be nice if we all could support each other through life like I get supported through cancer. Even though I'm facing down a deadly disease, the people who care for me, and those who care about me, have made some of this time wonderful. The love I receive feels like I just lay down in a cool stream on a hot, dry day. Just living (without cancer) is a very hard thing sometimes. We should be nicer to everyone, all the time. Especially strangers. And people driving their cars. And the doofus neighbor who never cuts their grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment