Jul 28, 2010

Here's a tip for anyone having an upper body surgery: do your sit-ups! You need your abdominal muscles and leg muscles (especially quads) to get yourself out of bed or off the couch. Even if you are 85 years old and have never done a sit-up or a squat in your life, talk to your doctor and find out how to do some exercises that will help you be a little more independent after your surgery. If you are reading this, you are already online, so look up some moderate, beginner exercises.

After my mastectomies, I was very grateful to my stomach and leg muscles for being able to propel me out of bed without a lot of dragging and pushing from others. It really helps to not have to wait for someone to help you go to the bathroom. These are things that your surgeon will never tell you. But I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment