Jun 22, 2010

Last week, I did a PET/CT scan on a woman just about my age who very recently found out that she has breast cancer. Her sisters were with her, supporting her like my sister and friends do. They were all crying. She must have been a Stage 3, like me, because
she had lymph node involvement. Very scary stuff. I know this from a very personal perspective, right? A PET/CT scan takes a couple of hours to get through so I had some time to talk with the patient. I told her that I had just finished my chemotherapy; she could see that I was still standing! I told her a few of the things to expect with consideration that her treatment might not be exactly like mine. I know that she could not have absorbed and processed much of the information that she had been given so far because she was still in shock from the news! So, I felt that I could help her a little bit and we cried together, too. I hope that, when she returns for a follow-up scan, that she will be a happy survivor, just like me. Having breast cancer is not a good thing but a good thing happened that day. I felt so priviledged to be helping in this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment