Apr 12, 2010

That's How They Do It

When you have cancer, just like when you are pregnant, people that you tell usually have their own story to relate. With breast cancer, I often heard about a co-worker, friend or relative that received a course of chemo and never missed a day of work. This made me feel like a wimp, a lightweight, because I couldn't imagine going to work as bad as I felt! I had a string of days after each chemo where I didn't even change my clothes - just melted out of bed in the morning, moped around all day, then laid back down at night, hoping for sleep that was uninterrrupted by trips to the bathroom. Eating anything at all required lots of consideration about what would cause the least discomfort. Headaches, body aches, fatigue, etc. I could manage going to work on days 5 and 6 after a treatment but that was it.
Then, I started this second round of chemo with Taxol instead of Adriamicin and Cytoxan. Appently, Taxol is a much more common agent used for breast cancer that the 'red devil' and its sidekick. I can definitely work while receiving Taxol. WAY less side effects! So, now I see how they do it! And - I don't fell like such a wimp 'cause not very many - maybe nobody - could work while getting A & C.

No comments:

Post a Comment