Jun 1, 2010

When Olivia is my age, we will be astounded, looking back, at how primitive my cancer treatment was. I am getting the very
latest and greatest things available. Some of them are pretty darn sophistcated. But, the concept of poisoning every cell in the body in order to kill a few hundred million cancer cells will be outdated someday. Already, there are drugs that target specific cancer cells. The Herceptin that I am receiving targets only breast cancer cells. That's good but the docs aren't ready to give only targeted therapy yet. They still use the old, barbaric drugs, too. Maybe someday there will be a breast cancer vaccine. I will be participating in a trial at Hopkins this fall which is testing the effectiveness of a new vaccine. May it be successful, not just for me but for Olivia and everyone's daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment