Feb 20, 2010

Debbie's Book

Props to my wonderful sister-in-law Debbie Godfrey. The book she gave me at the beginning of my treatment is now the only 'cancer' material that I read. The book is called "What Helped Me Through: Cancer Survivors Share Wisdom and Hope" by Julie K. Silver, MD. It's mostly quotes from survivors about non-medical issues; things that 'helped them through'. I don't look at articles about cancer or treatment. I don't read any of the other books that the hospital gave me. I don't surf the net. I don't read the handouts about the medications I'm being given. This is a little odd because I've spent my entire career as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist reading journal articles, going to continuing ed. seminars and in general learning, in detail, about everything new and known about the studies that we do. But, as a cancer patient, my only source of info about treatment and drug side effects are my oncologist and the nurses in the Infusion Center. The nurses, especially, are the best filter about what to expect with each treatment. Having seen and heard about all side effects, they tell me about only the effects that are likely to happen, not every possible one. Lots less stress!

No comments:

Post a Comment